Skip to main content

THE ESSENCE OF LIFE.

This month of August 2011 I added another year to the few I have lived so far, but this year seems very significant to me as I take the first step into what I consider to be the second phase of my life and at the age I have hit now, it becomes imperative for me to find out what my purpose of existence here on this physical realm is, and not only that but to also ensure that I am walking in that purpose, so that glory and honour may be given unto my father in heaven who has placed me here to co-exist with fellow humans.

I look back at my childhood days when naturally my dreams and fantasies were not inhibited by any mental road block; I could imagine anything in my little world and somehow believe it will come to fruition. But as I grew older and started to experience heartbreaks, failing exams, coupled with some other unexpected happenings like seeing my dad pass away when I was just 13, I started to sort of lose grip on that ability to dream and expect it to come to pass. Even now, if I dared to ‘dream’ I sort of start to abort the dream myself with what I will call a “reality check”! With just a day into Phase 2 of my life I can now see that the so called reality checks are actually my inner FEARS/DOUBTS that I have stored in my subconscious since my teenage years due to set backs I had experienced in those early years. Most of my classmates gained admission into university before me, my secondary school years were more like a dream to me than a life that I actually lived, I even had a Prefect Badge stripped off me because a new law came into school that we weren’t allowed to sit for GCSE exams before our SSCE’s. Of course I flouted the law and was made to face the consequence at the expense of my Prefect badge and many lashes of ‘koboko’.

With the knowledge that this sort of experience is similar to most of us, it is not strange to see many people living a life of extreme caution, not wanting to make any mistakes in anything they do. With the fear of failure always hanging at the back of our minds, we don’t take risks; we don’t often throw caution to the wind and allow destiny/nature guide us to our highest potentials possible in life. An entrepreneur they say is a “risk taker” and a burden bearer if the risk undertaken doesn’t pay off, but on the other hand they are rewarded greatly when it does. Little wonder when reading biography’s of successful people e.g. Donald Trump, Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, Sam Jonah, Koos Bekker, you will find that they all had one sort of bad start or the other in their lives that they had to overcome with one trait they all have in common “ability to take risks”. I believe if we can sit back and set into motion what I call “right living” (getting educated, exploring our spiritual side and diligence) in due course we will rise to highest height of success we never imagined possible.

To me, having a big bank account doesn’t necessarily make one a success in life. I believe in the story behind the person, your brand and the amount of positive influence you command. There are some people who have a fair hundreds of thousands in their bank account or probably on a millionaire status but who do enjoy a lot of goodwill from people all over the world, and are even held up in high esteem than some billionaires around the world, this is largely because of the direct impact they have on people’s lives daily and that is what I term as SUCCESS.

One aspect of the “right living” that I will like to dwell on is the “EXPLORING OUR SPIRITUAL SIDE”. If any man or woman thinks that they will prevail in life with sheer hard work and education then they should expect disappointment somewhere along the line. As diligence and good education can set you up to make money flow in your direction, that doesn’t still make you a success in my book. If you look around the world especially in the western countries, you will find stories of wealthy people (inherited, business or showbiz) committing suicide by the day due to some depression they feel due to vacuum in their life. This vacuum I want to tell you is caused by the fact that they hadn’t explored their spiritual side. All they dwelled on was our three dimensional realm that we could see, taste and feel, totally oblivious as many of us, of the fourth dimensional realm of the spirit that can’t be seen with our naked eye but it is where our subconscious and super conscious personality dwells. Some have been able to thread on its shores and called it “intuition” while some others have been able to explore farther into it and have brought about a lot of ingenuity.

I will stop here as it isn’t my intention to send any spooky feeling down your spine and very inappropriate to hand to anybody what they aren’t prepared to receive, but I’ll like to implore each and every one of us to become more aware of our spirituality. There are two sides to all of us and sadly the actual person in us doesn’t get the say it ought to, what we concentrate on is the person we see in the mirror (body) ignoring the actual being that is living in the body. Just like forgetting that the shell isn’t the tortoise, the tortoise only dwells in the shell! If we can grasp this dimension, then we will be able to do more while on this plane, asides just waking up, eating and running about hustling and bustling trying to earn a living as we’ve been taught to do (survival instincts).

We’ve been sent here to DOMINATE and not to SURVIVE, a lot creativity has been deposited into a lot of us, but unfortunately most of us take them to the grave, leaving this plane unfulfilled because of the mentality we adopted by focusing only on what we can see. Greed, lust, hate, intolerance, pride all dwell on our physical realm, one of the trait you see in people operating on the fourth dimension is that all these things don’t move them; they are more focused on what they can give/contribute to human existence as opposed to taking from it. But as there is already a universal reward system in place by our creator/nature they usually get rewarded for their creativeness/sacrifices and it translates into financial increase, mostly unimaginable as at times it ranges into billions. Also they find it hard to perpertuate evil as they expect to be judged by this same universal law of action and reaction. Watch most billionaires, you will see that their money and fame didn't come by their thirst for money, it came from them identifying a problem and dedicating their life to solving it.

Let this be a guide for your life, that your existence here on earth may be one of fruitfulness as you will plant all the good seeds the Lord placed into you when He breathe His breath of life into you upon inception in your mother’s womb.

I wish you a long and prosperous life as I do wish myself. God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Color of Water by James McBride review - race, identity and transcendence

I once encountered a novel in the African literature section of a London library. It was about an out-of-luck black Nigerian man, Furo Wariboko, who went to bed and woke up transformed into a white man. Nothing else about Furo changes (held the same undergraduate degree, spoke in  Pidgin English  and even retained a  Black ass ), yet his social interactions in the vibrant city of Lagos improved overnight: from offers of high remunerating jobs to excessive deference towards him from his fellow Nigerians; all because of his newly-acquired skin colour. I remember sliding that novel back into the library’s bookshelf, thinking the synopsis around Furo’s life was outlandish even for a work of fiction. Not until I immersed myself into James McBride’s demure memoir,  The Color of Water , in which the author unfurled the life-world of his mother, Ruchel Dwajra Zylska, did I realise that I’d been limited in my imagination to think back then that Furo’s story was outlandish, and that reality can,

Tinubu and end of Village Tree Democracy

The market square humiliation of incumbent governor of Lagos, Akinwunmi Ambode, was excruciating to watch even for a non-supporter. It was a ‘power show’ by Bola Ahmed Tinubu. A demonstration that two decades after ‘great minds think alike’ billboards stood on major Lagos streets – a baseless comparison of himself to Awolowo and Gandhi, except for round-eyed glasses – his ability to steer voters in his preferred direction hasn’t waned. I’m mindful that it’s usually an overestimation when an individual is said to have such power over society. Nevertheless, it’s undeniable that Tinubu’s opinions hold sway in Lagos. Indeed, how Tinubu came about that political power, and how it can be brought to an end, is what I intend to interrogate. Majority of Lagos residents are Yoruba. Like many African sub-nationalities, they hold as ideal that, although individual need is self-evident, community need shall supersede. This is argued convincingly by Professor Segun Gbadegesin – what

Bello, Zik and Awo: Youth, Ambition and Unintended Consequences of Independence.

Pointing finger of blame when looking into history is tempting. But, reading two or more accounts of same historical event, by different witnesses, it becomes clear that there are no absolute-truths in history: just points of view. And requires discipline on our part to piece together for better understanding of the past, to build upon the successes, learn from the mistakes, and where possible and desirable make repairs. From accounts of Ahmadu Bello (My Life), Nnamdi Azikiwe (My Odyssey) and Obafemi Awolowo (Awo), we know the slogan ‘Self-Government for Nigeria NOW’ was demand of the ‘politically conscious’ indigenes. Demand continuously watered since 1923-elections in Lagos and Calabar Provinces, when only Nigerian men who earned £100 annually were allowed to vote. People who constitute Nigeria were never consulted if they so desired to be a ‘nation,’ let alone, be independent. Action Group (AG) would go further, at its Owo Conference of April 1951, declaring ‘SGN in 195